Monday, November 14, 2011

The High Price of Materialism by Tim Kasser

This story by Tim Kasser was extremely psychologically related. We have yet to have a reading where it is all about psychology. This story was about the psychological effects of materialism. Kasser and Ryan performed an experiment where the people were tested to see just how materialism ran their lives. I think this experiment should be done more often because people are too materialistic. This experiment was pretty extensive and really specific. Psychology subjects are pretty interesting and this reading was quite informational. I found it to be an easy read since I love psychology so very much. Ti surprised me when the test revealed that people who are focused primarily on financial problems are going to be unhappy, stressed, and not fit in well with society. This experiment proved to me that being materialistic can be extremely self-destructive. The America dream is all about financial success, so the American Dream could be ruining people without any of their conscious awareness to doing so. The most surprising thing of this blog was the bit about illegal substance, alcohol, etc. I had no idea that materialism had to do with a persons want to do drugs and continuance with the drug. This story opened up a lot for me to understand the materialistic views of society. I will concentrate more on when I am thinking materialistic than unmaterialistic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment