Sunday, August 28, 2011

Freewriting by Peter Elbow


After reading this short story by Peter Elbow, I have developed a new way to keep myself from coming down with writer’s block in the middle of an essay. Although I will still edit my essay as I go, I can now write a little more freely. I wouldn’t be able to free write as Elbow says to because I like to keep my essays clean and I have to edit them as I go. The ‘automatic writing,” “babbling,” or “jabbering” exercises will used on a regular basis by me now that I know they will help me in my writing process. Writer’s block always happens to me but I now I have a way to escape it. Peter Elbow is a very smart man and his free writing idea will be used by me from now on. It will make me a better writer and it will allow me to be a little more creative each and every time I do the little exercises. He also states that most people edit away their written unacceptable thoughts and feelings, we don’t do that when we speak, so why do it when we write? Yes, editing is easier when there isn’t someone right there waiting for an answer but that editing may inhibit what we really want to say. Elbow has not got me thinking about the editing process in writing and his free writing tips will be on my mind when I write my next paper. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about freewriting. I think it helps the ideas flow and to help you write better. However I find that it is very hard for me to stay on subject when i am free writing. I see you do sort of a combination when you write your essays. I think that is a good idea since then you would not have to go back and edit your paper. From the two times i have free written I am pretty sure that I would have to get rid of about half what i wrote. So thanks for sharing that, i will try to start implementing it in my writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree with you that freewritting helps writer’s block. I too have a big problem with writer’s block. Freewritting has helped this because it allows me to think more about the subject meaning I can write a lot more. I agree with you that Peter Elbow is a very smart man. He really knows what he is talking about, which makes me want to use his exercises even more. I think we edit when we write because we don’t want to turn something in that doesn’t make any sense. I agree with you about editing inhibits what we are trying to say.

    ReplyDelete