Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Propaganda Techniques in Today's Advertising by Ann McClintock

Before reading this writing by Ann McClintock, I was not aware of how many advertising claims I was exposed to throughout the day but now that I think of it, it is very true. I could relate to having seen all seven of the basic types or propaganda. I see these types of propaganda the second that I turn on the television or go onto the internet. Propaganda is everywhere. Corporations are always trying to get you to buy their product by relating to you in some way, shape, or form. Propaganda plays a huge part in Americans’ everyday lives; we cannot go one day or one hour without being bombarded by advertisements on television, radio, billboards, magazines, newspapers etc. I hate when I am watching television for one minute and then it goes right back to commercial. There is no reason why there should be more commercials than the television show itself. I do not even listen to the radio anymore because of the commercials in between one or two songs. I cannot stand it when all I am listening to is propaganda being shoved down my throat. I agree with all that Ann McClintock has to say about propaganda and how bad it is becoming.


Kathleen Flynn 

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on the radio thing. I really don't listen to the radio very often anymore. The radio stations make their money off of advertisements so they put a lot on there. They try and make it seem like since the producers of the radio show use a product its cool and you should too. I know one radio station where the girl on the show is always talking about laser hair removal and how she got it and it changed her life. They never talk about the cost of it or how long it takes. To be hones the host of the show probably doesn't even have it done. They shove commercials down your throat and make it seem like the products will change your life, when in reality the host probably don't even believe it themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also was not aware of these propaganda tactics that are being used to persuade people. I’ve also seen all of these tactics on television. I hate it also when television cuts to a commercial, it just annoys me. Propaganda does play a huge role in the life of Americans. Everywhere we look there is some kind of advertising that’s brainwashing you into buying the product. I don’t listen to the radio either there are way too many commercials. I also agree with Ann McClintock that there is a big problem with propaganda in our society. Something should be done!
    Stefan Groening

    ReplyDelete