Tuesday, August 23, 2011

How to Mark a Book by Mortimer Adler


                In my opinion, Mortimer Adler is an extremely intelligent man in every sentence that he wrote in his essay. In my past experiences, I have had a lot of trouble marking in my beloved books because I have so very many of them and I love them all so much. After reading what Adler had to say, my habit of not writing in the book will change. I have learned that writing, scribbling, or highlighting in the book will allow me to grasp the story or essay that I am reading more than I ever would have without writing in it. i agree with everything that Mortimer Adler had to say about marking in a book and I have learned a great deal about how to do it. I was never quite sure what phrases or sentences I should highlight but not I am confident that what I do highlight will be useful in the future. What I mark now will be seen in the future and it will be quite amusing to look back and see what I was thinking at the time the material was presented. Adler has also allowed me to realize that I am the third type of book owner. My books may not be dilapidated but one can defiantly tell that they have been read multiple times and that I have enjoyed my time reading. I have and always will enjoy reading, it allows the imagination to run wild and can make a person the happiest they will ever be. 

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to what you are writing about. I too agree that Alder was a very intelligent man. I also too have trouble writing a book i feel like I’m hurting the book when I write in the margins or highlight. I’ve always had trouble figuring out what I should highlight like you. I think I would be the third type of book owner as well; all my books look like they have been well used. In the future I will look back in some of my books and laugh at some of the things I highlighted. I’ve learned a great deal of information from this reading and will use it for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you about Alder being intelligent. I was sucked into his writing. He made me want to highlight what he wrote. Also i agree with what you said about it being hard to highlight in a book. sometimes i wouldn't know what to highlight. I am jealous that you are the third type of reader. I wish i could be all the time. I think that if i'm enjoying a book i am, but sometimes i get distracted while reading. Everything Alder wrote inspired me though. It makes me want to be a better reader.

    ReplyDelete