Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Man Who Was Mean to His Dog by: Anne Lamott

     This story by Anne Lamott was quite touching because it was about a man who beat his dog in front of everyone and acted as if nothing even happened. In the story, the mother related what had happened with the dog to what happened when she accidentally hurt her son, Sam. I dislike people that hurt their animals. You could say that I hate and despise them. These people have problems with them. I could not stop reading this story because it drew me in. I really liked it even though it was about a man beating his dog. Sam’s mom drew something from this experience but before she got something out of it she became very vulnerable and she hated it because she did not want her son to see her like that. She wanted to be strong but she was physically afraid of the man who had beaten his dog with a stick in front the whole beach. Who could possibly do this? That is so mean. That dog did not do anything and this man is messed up. I like the way that Anne Lamott writes. She knows how to draw her audience in with the words she uses and the little bit of description in the text. I liked this story a lot. 

4 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean when you say that you could say that you "hate and despise" people who are harmful to their animals. I agree with you when you say that those people do have mental problems that they need to get help with. It's inhumane to hurt an animal without acknowledging that it's wrong.
    This story didn't draw me in, however. I didn't like it at all. I get too overemotional about stories like this.
    I would be just like Lamott because I would want to be strong but I wouldn't know how.
    I'm not sure why this man beat his dog in public, but I hope that guard at the prison caught him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you! I don’t see how anyone could beat their dog! Especially a golden retriever they are like the sweetest dogs you’ll ever meet. It was a very touching story that did draw you in, I like you couldn’t stop reading it either. It’s not every day you read a story like this one. I like how you made the comparison about the mother and son and how she didn’t want her son to see her like him. I liked that a lot because its kind of how the whole story relates to each character. I’m glad we agree on a lot of the same ideas! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. This passage really drew me in too. It was tough reading it because it made me so sad, but i wanted to find out what happened. I cant imagine someone actually being that cruel that they would hurt an animal. I wish we could have found out if anything happened to the man and the dog. I didn't like that she related it so much to religion though. I thought it kind of took away from the story and the mother and son connection in it. It almost shocked me when she started talking about god and how she must forgive the man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you the story was very touching I don’t think I could ever do what he did to my dogs. People who hurt their animals should be prosecuted with the full intent of the law. I would agree with you I hate or despise people who hurt their animals. How could someone get enjoyment in hurting animals it doesn’t make any sense I agree with you I n your statement about Sam’s mom not wanting Sam to see her like that. . In the end, I did like this reading to it was very touching. I would definitely read more from Anne Lamott.

    ReplyDelete