Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Size 6: The Western Women's Harem By Fatema Mernissi

      “Size 6: The Western Women’s Harem” by Fatema Mernissi, a Moroccan feminist, is about a very strong woman who goes into a department store in America and becomes insulted by what the salesladies have to say about her size. Fatema comes from a place where the size of the woman is not judged, but it is worshipped, not everyone has to be a size six in order to fit in. in America, a woman has to fit the norm or she is going to be made fun of and frowned upon when trying to do much of anything. When a woman is fat, she is judged rather than praised but when a woman looks as if she has not eaten in three years, she is found to be beautiful or sexy. It should not be this way; everyone should be appreciated as they are, not by their size or their looks but by their personality. A good personality takes a lifetime to develop so it should be praised. Fatema wrote this story in a feminist way but there was not too much feminism in the words that she used. It was not an overpowering feminist story like most other. I really liked this story because it is all true. Women should be excepted as they are, not what they are not. Do not find faults in things that are not there. 

2 comments:

  1. I really liked your blog! Agree with everything you say! I like how you say that a personality takes a lifetime to be developed so that is much more praise worthy and just apparence. That was a really good point im glad you made! Also you mentioned the feminism she had usued in the story! I saw that too. She did have a lot of that in here but I think thats what it was aimed to do! I really like your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt that this excerpt was very feminist. I agree with you when u talk about how American women have to fit the norm of society. In other countries this is not a problem at all and women are ok with being a little big. I agree with the statement everyone should appreciate who they are. Most men in America only care about appearance but rather about the personality. Who wants a beautiful girl but is a total bitch to you. I disagree with you I think it was a little overpowering. In the end, I did like the passage and I like your take on this story.

    ReplyDelete