Monday, January 16, 2012

Visual Argument

The first picture, “At the Time of the Louisville Flood,” represents a contradiction. The sign above the line of people waiting to obtain food says “World’s Highest Standard of Living,” when exactly the opposite is occurring. Seventy percent of Louisville was flooded during this hard time. Many people were homeless and hungry. The point that this image is trying to make, in my opinion, is that the American lifestyle is not always very pretty. Obviously the people in this image are struggling to hold on while their lives have been reduced to shambles. America has always been looked upon as the land of opportunity but this image represents the hardships people may go through in life. The second picture is of an old woman wrapped in an American flag blanket waiting outside of the New Orleans convention center after hurricane Katrina. Hurricane Katrina devastated many peoples’ lives. This image also portrays distraught after bad weather hits. The old woman’s name is Milvertha. She is waiting to receive food and shelter after a massive and devastating hurricane struck, probably taking her house with it. The convention center was the safest place in New Orleans at the time but there was an overwhelming amount of people that wanted to gain entry. She probably had to wait for hours just to obtain a small amount of food. The picture proves that many people suffered hardships after this hurricane. 

3 comments:

  1. I understand your points made about the first picture but I have to whole-heartedly disagree. All those things are inferred. We do not know those people’s financial states or even general states. We do not know why they are waiting in line and if they were even affected by the flood at all. All of that is inferred and cannot be proven with the given information. In the second picture we do not know if she is waiting for food and shelter, she could have already eaten or have just been waiting for her family, if she has one, to see if they are ok. The fact that she is at the Convention Center may support this, but that does not give a definite proof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the concepts you were able to pull from the first photo. When I first analyzed this image, I seemed to lean more towards the race aspect and almost looked past the whole idea of the flood. I can see the how you drew the conclusions that you did and I think it was another good way to view this photo.
    I also liked the ideas you had for the second photo. In my evaluation, I had a very similar thought process for what was happening. I would agree with the comment posted before mine that there is no information in the photo to prove these ideas, but I think it may have been the photographers intention to try and represent these concepts even if the situation was not how we perceived it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on this first photo it is a contradiction. You have a sign saying America has the highest standard of living yet people could not afford their own food. I agree with you not all America lifestyles can be pretty. I also think that what made this country great was the hardships we to endured. Without them America would not be where we are today. I think you were spot on your opinion of the first photo. I agree with you on the second photo Hurricane are devastating and the hardships they bring after. FEMA were to blame.

    ReplyDelete