Thursday, February 9, 2012

Fliers, Think Before Turning on Electronics

This reading got me thinking about how many times I have had my electronics on while flying. I never thought that it really mattered if you left your phone on. When I had a phone that I knew how to put in airplane mode, I would. But, most people do not what airplane mode is. If just one cell phone, laptop, or tablet can cause a plane to go down, than I will definitely make sure that I am not the one to cause that. Flying can be scary to begin with, but if someone in the cabin does not turn off their phone, they are just raising the risk. Many people think that the no electronics rule on an airplane does not matter, well obviously it does. Cell phones, tablets, can laptops have caused many accidents, whether airplane or vehicle. People just need to learn how to live without their communication for a couple of hours. Is it really necessary to put everyone’s life in danger? Well, I do not think so.  Whatever it is that you are doing, can probably wait until later. I try to adhere to all of the rules when I am on an airplane, I do not want anything to go wrong. 

3 comments:

  1. I happen to agree with everything you said. Workaholics often feel like the world is going to end if they don't answer emails, and phone calls within 10 minutes. Let’s talk honestly; the world is not going to end. Shocker huh. Some people find flying peaceful and enjoyable, while others are petrified. So why make the people who are already scared, terrified? I think everyone should just do everyone a favor and keep his or her electronics off or on airplane mode. Flights can be long so people should bring a book. Like you said “Cell phones, tablets, can laptops have caused many accidents, whether airplane or vehicle.” It’s sad to say, but this sentence is 100 percent true.

    -Morgan Gillette

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reading also got me thinking of how many times I have left my electronics on and nothing ever happened to me. Like you I didn’t know leaving you phone on really mattered but apparently it messes with the pilots instruments in the cockpit. Now every time I fly I will always keep my phone on airplane mode. I agree with you people need to be able to turn beloved cell phones, tablets and laptops. I have been on so many airplane flights to be scared of flying but there have been some scary moments in a few flights. In the end, I like this article and your blog was right on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I have always listened to the pilot's commands, I have turned on my cellphone forgetting that I am flying at 35,000 feet and having no service on it whatsoever. I agree that there are many people who don't know how to put their phone in airplane mode and I also agree that it can be very risky. People die every day but I don't think it is as bad as being killed in a plane crash. I feel that it is important to listen to the pilot's commands but I feel that ignorance will continue to play a part in flying on planes.

    ReplyDelete