Thursday, March 22, 2012

Morality Pill

Although the concept of this pill sounds pretty intriguing, I am against the idea of prescribing a morality pill. Our independence of will or autonomy is not something that should be messed with, ever. Yes, there would be no crime and many lives would be saved, but can you imagine just how boring life would be if every single person behaved how they were supposed to? I would not want to live in a world with no misbehavior occurring, it makes life interesting. And if there was no crime, there would be many jobs taken out of society, many very important jobs. These jobs help our economy tremendously and I think that having a morality pill will just negatively affect the economy. Although the thought of living in a crime-free society is quite alluring, it just is not the right thing to do. Our free will is what allows us to be who were are, and nobody can control that. Even though many crimes can be quite heinous in nature, this pill should not be authorized by anybody ever. Almost everybody lives for themselves, and changing that would be hard. People live for their free will; you can’t just expect them to take a pill that is going to turn them into a different person. 

2 comments:

  1. I also think that we are not ready for a morality pill. I liked that you said it would make our world very boring, and it was interesting that you brought up the fact that many people would be out of a job if this pill were invented. I didn't really consider these ideas in my own blog. I think that we aren't ready for a morality pill because I think being moral is a learned behavior and not something that can be controlled through a pill. I don't think people should be forced to be friendly, I think everyone should experience the goods and the bads and figure out what is right and wrong on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not like the concept of a morality pill. I think it is in bad taste if you ask me. That gives up our right to be ourselves and think the way we want to if you ask me. If there were a morality pill then why not have a truth pill, or this pill, or a that pill. When do you draw the line. The draw the line here if you ak me. Yes, in theory, it would be a perfect little world if we lived in a world with a morlaity pill. New flash, we do not live in a perfect world. We all have to take the good with the bad.

    ReplyDelete